Pentagon Play are the UK's leading school and nursery playground company and are forward-thinking and progressive in our approach. We are a fun-loving, hardworking team, passionate about improving the play experiences and learning outcomes of children across the UK. We were named as one of The Sunday Times’ Top 100 Small Businesses to work for in 2020 (16th if you’re interested!). Everyone here is a family and everyone is valued! Our company values ensure we respect one another and empower us to reach our potential.
We’re recruiting for an experienced Product Designer to develop an exciting new range of indoor play and learning products, made from predominantly plywood and timber. You’ll be based in our Northern office now in our new home in Middlewich, having invested heavily in workshop space and flat-bed and 6-axis CNC machines to further our in-house manufacturing for our current outdoor products.
We see the possibilities of our new manufacturing setup and we’re seeking to add someone with experience of designing for plywood and making with CNCs to the team. We want you to come here as a talented designer with a love of making, to get in the shoes of children and teachers, to design and launch a successful range of products that grow our customer offering.
Your role will be to design and launch an industry leading range of indoor play and learning products.
With the guidance of the Product Design Manager, you’ll apply your expert knowledge of plywood manufacturing and customer behaviour as you research and develop concepts for an indoor range. Backed by reliable costings to achieve target profit margins, the products need to offer more value to our customers at less cost than our competitors, either through offering more value through design or by reducing costs in manufacture (and both).
Products should be designed to meet and exceed our customer’s needs and have more appeal than anything else on the market. With the support of the helpful Workshop Team, you’ll be able to prototype from the offset to help achieve this. You’ll have the fantastic marketing team to help launch the products, with an exciting website overhaul coming to help sell the products not only to our existing customers but also online.
You’ll be a part of the wider product team, take ownership of the products you design, and support other departments with anything related to indoor play. You’ll come to design outdoor play products in time, and our other designers will design indoor products too, but you’ll be key from the start helping to make this new venture happen.
Please list any transferable skills to these in your application.
- 2D CAD and 3D Modelling - We use Vectorworks, but any similar software experience is transferable.
- Creative Process – The ability come up with unique designs in the market.
- Making – A way of thinking, being able to visualise manufacturing and install methods.
- Market Research - Learning and knowing our market, adding value for our customers beyond our competitors
- The Primary Curriculum – learning education, knowing our users, thinking like a teacher.
- Cost Control – Budgeting, planning, and estimating from the outset to achieve market price.
- Industry Standards - Learning and applying industry safety standards
- Product Research – Self-directed to gain a greater understanding of the needs, goals, and problems.
- Technical Drawing – Producing clear, easy to read information.
- Prototyping – Able to quickly turn an idea into a physical concept to test the uncertainties.
- User-centred Design – Ensuring designs are right spatially, ergonomically, scale and in details.
- Presenting – Confident presenter to all levels, clearly and positively.
- Product Database management – all our product information, which then feeds through to sales, manufacturing and install.
- Product Ownership – Looking after the life cycle of a Pentagon product.
Soft Skills Needed
- Listening - The ability to listen, absorb and demonstrate your understanding.
- Communication – Excellent rapport builder and clear communicator.
- Critical thinking – Able to analyse objectively to gain insights for solutions.
- Collaborator - A team player who is generous with ideas and good advice and embraces others.
- Pragmatic – Making decisions and steps to achieve the goal while not being afraid to fail.
- Meticulous - An attention to detail
- Technically-minded - able to think through details and structures.
Experience designing and making in plywood or other sheet materials on a flat-bed CNC.
- Qualifications Required
- Degree in Product Design or similar.
What can we offer?
- Location: Middlewich, 30mins from Manchester just off the M6
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: Dependent on experience, starting from £25,000
- Working Hours: 40 hours per week and we are flexible on working times.
- Holiday: 24 Days (+ 2 Days on bonus, to be used at Christmas)
- Company Bonus Scheme (After probation)
- Healthcare (After probation)
- Free Car Park
If you would like to apply for this job, please email your CV and Cover Letter to Alicia@pentagonplay.co.uk with the job title as the subject.
*We Do Not Accept Agency Applications*